into the Field Placement Portal
• Go to: http://fsw.mylaurier.ca (works best with Firefox and Internet Explorer 6 or higher)
• Select Login
• Select Student Login
• Username: enter your Novell email login
• Password: enter your Novell email password
• Click Submit
II. Navigating the Field Placement Portal
Across the top of the Field Placement Portal you will see a number of tabs located in a black bar.
This is the main page, or dashboard. On this page you will see the
upcoming, current, and past term, as it relates to your practicum. You will
also see your MSW program, whether you are full-time or part-time, and field
of study. For example: 935A-MSW-ADVST-FT-IFG refers to a student who is
registered as an Advanced standing, Full-Time, IFG student. You will also have access
to the following:
This is your personal account information. Please ensure your address, and contact information is accurate.
This feature is currently inactive. To book appointments with staff, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page contains any applications, forms, or evaluations relevant to your practicum. Agency specific applications or requirements are also provided here.
This feature is currently inactive. Please refer to the Academic Events Calendar on the FSW website.
To logout of the portal.
The Profile must be completed in order to view the placements that a student qualifies for. The portal will “Time Out” after 15 minutes. Please scroll to the bottom and ‘Save’ as you complete your profile. To complete your profile:
1. On the main dashboard, click on ‘Incomplete: Click to Edit’ beside ‘My Profile’ (this will remain red and ‘Incomplete’ until all sections are completed).
2. You must respond to all questions. For questions to which you do not have a response, you must indicate n/a. All text boxes must have a response. Do not propose any ‘new placements’ at this time (see section IV).
3. Upload a general, up-to-date resume – please use a general resume that can be shared with a variety of agencies. In the event you uploaded the incorrect resume, you can upload a new resume, however you cannot delete the first resume you have uploaded.
4. Click Save.
5. This will take you back to the main dashboard. If your Profile was completed correctly, ‘Complete: Click to Edit’ will appear in green beside ‘My Profile’. You will now be able to review all the Opportunities to which you qualify.
IV. Reviewing Placements for which you Qualify
Students will be able to view, and show interest in the placement opportunities they qualify for. Placements are open to students based on program (e.g. Advanced standing), stream (e.g. CPPO int.), and status (e.g. Part-time). Please note: New placement opportunities will be added on the portal until the portal closes. Please visit the Important Dates webpage to determine when the portal will close. To review the placements you qualify for:
1. On the main dashboard, beside ‘Opportunities to which I qualify’, click on ‘View Opportunities’.
2. You will see ‘All Placement Opportunities’ that are open for your program and field of study. You can save, delete, or show interest in any of these placements.
3. Click on the blue box to view the details of a Placement Opportunity. This will open in a new window. You will be able to view detailed information about each placement. Students are expected to review each placement prior to showing interest.
4. Click on the star to save a placement. This does not mean you are interested in this placement. It is only saved so you can review it later. Students are encouraged to filter opportunities by saving placements that they may be interested in. All placements you star will be saved under the ‘My Saved Postings’ tab.
5. If there are placements you are not interested in, click on the X. These will be stored in the ‘Not interested Postings’ tab.
V. Showing Interest in a Placement Opportunity
Students must carefully review a placement opportunity prior to showing interest. For questions about a particular placement please contact email@example.com for any clarification or visit the agency’s website. Students cannot contact an agency or arrange meetings with agencies to learn about the available opportunities, set up an interview or meeting with an agency, or arrange their own placements.
Review your saved placements and select 10 placement opportunities that you would like to show interest in. There is no limit to the number of agencies that you are interested in, if you would like to be considered for more than 10 opportunities.
Showing interest helps the Practicum Office consider you for placements you are interested in. It does not guarantee you will be placed with that agency.
To show interest:
1. Click on the blue box to view the details of a Placement Opportunity. This will open in a new window. Under the ‘Info’ tab, you will be able to view detailed information about the placement.
2. Click on the ‘Show Interest’ tab.
3. Click: I'm interested in being considered for this placement
4. You have now shown interest in a placement opportunity.
5. You can review all placements you have shown interest in by going back to your dashboard. You will now see a new tab, ‘My Interests’, that has been added once you show interest in a placement opportunity. You can review all opportunities you have shown interest in by click on ‘Review my Interests’
6. If you are no longer interested in a placement opportunity, or to remove a placement from your ‘My Interests’ list:
a. Go to the main dashboard
b. Click on ‘My Interests’
c. Click on the blue box beside the placement you want to remove from your interests
d. Click on the ‘Show Interest’ tab
e. Click on the tab, ‘Remove Interest’
f. Click ‘OK’ in response to the pop-up question.
VI. Learning about your Placement
The Practicum Office will inform you once you have been matched with a placement for an interview. To learn about your placement:
1. Log into the portal
2. On the main dashboard, under ‘Opportunities to which I qualify’ – You will notice that it will say ‘You have been placed’; click on ‘View Placement’.
3. You will see three tabs: Info, Map, and Placement Record.
4. Click on ‘Placement Record’. This will provide you detailed information about the placement including dates, Practicum Instructor and Field Advisor contact information.
5. Contact the listed ‘Staff Contact’ and primary Practicum Instructor to set up an interview.
Completing the WSIB Form:
Complete either section C or D, not both.
• Check C if the agency is a WSIB organization and the university will then go through WSIB in the case of an injury.
• Check D if the agency is not a WSIB organization and the university will engage its private insurer in the case of an injury.
When asked for number of hours in sections B2, C2 or D2, put in total placement hours for your placement.
• Year 1, two year program and first placement of the part-time program = 574 hrs.[note: thesis students = 448 hrs.]
• Year 2, two year program and second placement for the part-time program = 420 hrs.
• Advanced standing program = 609 hrs. [note: thesis students = 315 hrs.]
Accidents/Incidents at a MSW Placement
MSW students in placement who experience an accident or are exposed to an incident must follow these procedures as soon as possible:
1. Contact the Practicum Office and inform them of incident.
2. Contact Health Services and inform them of your incident and arrange for any testing that may be required.
3. Complete the Accident/Incident Report for students for unpaid placements.
4. Send the following to the email address listed on the Accident Report:
a. Completed Accident Report.
b. Copy of the WSIB form you signed at the beginning of placement.
c. Name of your Placement supervisor name and contact information.
d. Date of your appointment with Health Services and any required testing that will be conducted or has been conducted.
5. Send an email to the Practicum Office to confirm that you have completed these steps.