Resource Management and Development
May 7, 8 and 9, 2014
9 a.m. – 4 p.m. | $375
Instructor: Cathy Brothers, MSW
This workshop is about financial management and financial resiliency. Participants will gain competence in financial literacy and understanding of basic financial tools. Complexities of budgeting in non-profit organizations will be addressed. In addition to planning budgets and managing revenues and expenses, there will also be a focus on generating revenues from diverse sources -- government, philanthropic and entrepreneurial.
Participants in this workshop can expect to:
- recognize the relationship between successful resource management and development and strong leadership, vision and strategic plans
- recognize the relationship between demonstrated outcomes and resource development
- understand basic financial reports -- cash flows, profit and loss statements, balance sheets and audited financial reports
- understand basics of Canadian non-profit and charitable laws and reporting requirements
- understand the essentials of budget planning
- identify diverse sources of revenue – government and philanthropic, as well as entrepreneurial and earned revenues
- gain insight into differential strategies for approaching various funders
- improve skills in writing grant proposals
- evaluate the role of special fundraising events
"I can definitely use the information I acquired over the past three days. Looking over the budget sheet was a GREAT exercise. Everything was broken down very well. Thank you for providing definitions."
"Cathy! Cathy! Cathy! Her years of experience, lessons learned, mistakes made, successes and her willingness to share her wisdom with humour and grace."
"I like the relaxed tone, the ability to spend the time needed on certain topics. The time flew. I was surprised how intrigued I remained, even when the weather was beautiful. Kudos. Excellent material!"
"Fantastic instructor – one of the best I’ve had here. She facilitated discussions well and fostered a great teamwork environment. Her knowledge about the topic and honesty was much appreciated. I really enjoyed this course and the entire certificate program. I’m very impressed with the chosen instructors. Great quality speakers."