Group Counselling in Addictions
Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Addictions (only if you are working towards the Addictions certificate).
You do not have to be working toward the Addictions certificate to take this course.
This course has been approved for 12 core CACCF continuing education hours.
December 9 and 10, 2013
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. |$275
Instructor: Collin McVicker, BA, MA
This two-day workshop will focus on helping participants cultivate their group counselling skills. Through an interactive forum participants will have the opportunity to discuss the importance and challenges of implementing groups in the addiction recovery process. Participants will become more aware of the group process and understand how this relates to addiction recovery. Learners will have the opportunity to acquire skills through a variety forums to engage all learning styles.
Learning objectives will include:
- selection of group members
- characteristics of effective groups
- the stages of group development and how these relate to the addiction recovery process
- understanding the role of the group leader in the group counselling process
- types of groups used in the addiction recovery process and linking these to specific theoretical approaches
- challenging issues in group dynamics