Fundamentals of Addiction (Winter 2014)
You do not have to be working toward the Addictions certificate to take this course.
If you have previously taken the one-day Fundamentals of Addiction workshop at Laurier, you may be exempt from this course and be eligible for six hours towards the Addiction certificate.
This course has been approved for six core and six related CACCF continuing education hours.
January 30 and 31, 2013
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Instructor: Angela Rolleman MSW, RSW
This two-day workshop offers an overview of addictions and addiction treatment options in Ontario. Participants will learn about common psychoactive drugs and their effects, signs and symptoms of substance abuse, the substance use continuum, the principle of harm reduction, the stages of change model, how best to identify and intervene with clients with addiction problems and an overview of various formal and informal resources available for addiction treatment/support. Participants will also have the opportunity to hear from a guest speaker with "lived experience" of addiction problems and who will answer questions from a client perspective.
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- define and distinguish between substance use, abuse, dependence and addiction
- recognize signs and symptoms of substance use and abuse
- list common psychoactive drugs and their effects
- understand the stages of change model and the interventions that are most helpful for each stage of change
- know which questions to ask to screen for substance abuse and how to engage clients in treatment planning
- understand what is involved in the assessment and treatment of substance abuse problems
- know the range of treatment options and supports available including harm reduction options, methadone maintenance, withdrawal management, outpatient counselling, residential treatment, addiction supportive housing, relapse prevention and self-help/mutual aid support groups
"I honestly thought it was great just the way it was. Best Professional Development workshop I have been to so far in my MSW career."
"Information was factual, based on research but experiences in working with people with addiction that were shared by Angela and others made it real and meaningful. Special guest speaker – powerful, dynamic, a gentleman with courage."
"I enjoyed everything about the presentation. Angela is a gifted teacher and presenter. The info was well-delivered. Guest speaker was equally gifted. Awesome workshop! Thank you so much."
"Have been wanting to attend a workshop like this for a long time. It was excellent."
"The personal story of a guest speaker was both meaningful and useful. It was an emotional touch which brought out what an addiction can be and how it can affect the whole family. An amazing outcome!"
"Excellent instructor, very easy to listen to, engaging, time went fast."