Single Session Therapy
Single Session Therapy
November 7 and 8, 2013
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.| $275
Instructor: Scot Cooper
Single Session Therapy (SST)has emerged as a legitimate service and supplement to traditional programs offered by mental health agencies and private practitioners. Often provided through walk-in clinic services, SST provides a viable alternative to long wait lists offering a venue for people to address various life problems at their time of need. This two-day workshop will immerse participants in the thinking and skill set of single session therapeutic practice.
Drawing from contemporary brief therapies we will explore concepts and practices that support a collaborative, person-centred approach that builds pathways forward drawing from people’s lived experience. You will learn to hear several 'entry points' to possibility that foreground people’s preferences for life and the many skills of living they bring with them to these conversations. A structure for conceptualizing the single session conversation will be provided.
The application of theory will be grounded in practical skills that you can exercise the very next day. Ideas will be explored through didactic presentation, group discussion, skills exercise and video review of conversations with children, and adults. This workshop is well suited to all service providers, beginning and experienced, working in time-constrained contexts with people describing various problems.
Together we will explore:
• ways of thinking about people, problems, and change that relate well to exploring possibility and outline an ethic of practice
• a design for single session therapy sessions that brings focus, coherence and completion to the process
• specific listening to quickly hear entry points to possibility
• several questions to elicit difference and possibility that foreground competency
• practices for co-crafting various 'take-home' documents
• ways to co-develop culturally and contextually relevant 'next steps' and extend the conversation well past the session into everyday living
"Start to finish was great, very relevant to my agency & my position. First “formal” training in SST and it was a great overview, and I am leaving with some concrete ideas."
"Fantastic examples and exercise; Scot’s expertise, passion and ability to be transparent and vulnerable with humour."
"Scot is a skilled facilitator with an accessible style, great energy, good humour and an obvious passion for the theory and practice of counselling."
"Many of these skills would be helpful even for people not practicing single session formats. Really enjoyed Scot Cooper!"