Bridging the Couple Chasm: Level 1
June 6 and 7, 2013
9am – 5pm | $425 (includes manual)
Instructor: Mike Fidler, MSW, RSW
When couples enter the therapy office, they sting with pain and despair. They look to the clinician to referee chronic conflicts, fix their partners and rebuild burned bridges. Now, based on Dr. John Gottman's 35 years of research with over 3,000 couples, there's a practical and highly effective approach to guiding these couples across the chasm that divides them. This workshop will provide a research-based roadmap for helping couples to compassionately manage their conflicts, deepen their friendship and intimacy and share their life purpose and dreams.
By the end of this workshop participants will:
- learn a theory of couple relationship predicting success/failure based upon research
- acquire a language to describe couple interaction
- understand what happy couples who have enduring relationships look like
- be able to describe couples that are heading to relationship failure
- know about new research-based assessments and effective interventions to help understand couples' struggles
- learn research-based strategies and tools to help couples successfully manage conflict
- gain skills that empower couples to dialogue about their worst gridlocked issues by uncovering their underlying dreams, history, and values
- understand methods to help couples process their fights and heal their hurts
- learn techniques for couples to deepen their intimacy and minimize relapse
Participants will receive a 300-page clinical manual featuring new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions. $150 has been added to the registration fee to cover the cost of this manual.