CPA Path for Current and New Students
Completing a BBA, Double Degree or BA Economics as part of the CPA Accredited Stream 2014 or later
The CPA qualification process combines academic study, professional education and practical work experience. The program enables individuals from all educational backgrounds to become Chartered Professional Accountants.
If you already have an honours undergraduate degree, you can pursue the Laurier MBA degree and the new CPA designation simultaneously.
The core academic requirement consists of a university degree, and 5 add-on courses designed to meet CPA Ontario Graduate level course requirement and that prepare students to enter Capstone 1 and 2 and write the Common Final Evaluation. [Note: the 5 add-on courses are expected to be included in a Graduate Diploma starting in 2016 or 2017 (pending Senate approval). Until that time they will be offered as add-on courses and are accepted by CPA Ontario for entry into Capstone 1 and 2.
1. Complete your BBA, Double Degree, or BA Economics and Accounting degree at Laurier (as part of your BU electives, the 7 "CPA Specific Courses" must be taken).
2. Upon completion of your BBA, Double Degree or BA Economics and Accounting degree, you will be required to complete the 5 add-on courses designed to meet CPA Ontario Graduate level course requirements all in one (1) term.
Upon successful graduation from Laurier's CPA Accredited program:
- You will have completed all the Core 1 and Core 2 requirements as part of your BBA, Double Degree or BA Economics & Accounting and Graduate Diploma Courses.
- You will have completed all four (4) CPA elective modules and have exceeded the elective requirements of CPA Ontario.
- You will not be required to take any challenge exams.
Proposed pathway for new students (entering the BBA program September 2014 or later):
The practical experience element consists of a prescribed 30-month period of training with a CPA Training Office (CATO). Click here for more information.