Laurier Association for Lifelong Learning (LALL)
"This was my first course, I came to 100% of classes. It was great! I tell what I have learned to others."
- Participant, A World of Birds, Spring 2014"Fabulous course. Terrific instructor, full of enthusiasm. Adriana put a lot of effort into pulling together a great course."
- Participant, A Journey Around Brazil: Exploring Regional Differences, Spring 2014"I love the LALL program, they offer courses for all preferences."
- Participant, German Filmmakers in Hollywood, Spring 2014
About the Laurier Association for Lifelong Learning (LALL)
LALL courses offer a unique option for adult learning. Courses are non-credit and are intended for personal interest and self-education. LALL is a non-profit organization supported by Continuing Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. The distinction between a LALL course and a university course is that LALL courses have no exams, no grading, and no prerequisites!
Courses generally run two hours per week for six consecutive weeks and are offered in morning or afternoon sessions. LALL offers courses three times per year:
- Spring - usually runs the second week of April through the third week of May
- Fall - usually runs the second week of October through the third week of November
- Winter - usually runs the first week of February through the middle of March
About the Instructors
Learn all about our LALL instructors here.
Learn all about our LALL instructors here.
Fall 2014: Get the Course Brochure!
Below are some of the proposed courses for fall 2014. The brochure can be found here; courses will start mid-October. Be sure to join our email list or follow us on social media for updates to the fall line up of courses.
Please note, once the brochure is available you will need Adobe Reader to view the document; please click here to obtain a free copy of Adobe Reader. Having trouble viewing the brochure in PDF format? Please click here for assistance; for Mac users please click here for assistance.
- Jerry Salloum - Wondering as we Wander: A Geographical Journey Through our Physical World (This course is now full)
- Blaine Chiasoon, Laurier - Modern China (This course is now full)
- Len Friesen - From World War to Cold War: International Relations in the 20th Century (This course is now full)
- Scott Gallimore - An Archaeology of Disaster: Exploring the Site of Pompeii
- Doug McCready - Life, Work and Living: Generational Trends of the 20th Century
- Joanna Rickert-Hall - Early Cultures of Waterloo County
- Anders Bergstrom - Modernism in Post-War Cinema
- Melanie Cameron - Creative Writing 101
- Matthew Bailey-Dick - An Introduction to Death and Dying
- Elmer Thiessen - Biomedical Ethics (This course is now full)
- Jim Weldon - Poetry Appreciation: William Carlos Williams and Wallace Stevens
Fee: $70 per course
Note: Your instructor may recommend additional items for purchases (e.g., books). They are only recommendations and are not mandatory for participation in the LALL courses.
For details on how to submit your registration, please refer to the course registration information page, brochure or LALL registration form and submit it to the address indicated with full payment. Please note that post-dated cheques will not be accepted.
Course registrants are process lottery-style and admitted on the basis of payment received to a maximum of 25 per course. No advance registrations will be accommodated. Courses fill up quickly!
If your course becomes full prior to your registration being processed, we will always let you know in writing and will return your voided payment. Please be sure to include an alternate course on your registration in case your first choice(s) fills quickly.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full course fee refund, less a $12 administration fee, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received prior to the first meeting of the class
- no refund can be made after the course begins
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, participants will be informed and all fees will be refunded.
For more information about LALL, please contact Continuing Studies by phone at 519.884.0710 x4628 or email.
Give the gift of learning this year! LALL has gift certificates available -- a perfect gift for that hard-to-buy-for person (or people) on your list. Regular course registration procedures apply to those who receive gift certificates. For details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org | 519.884.0710 x4628.
- participants who are also alumni of Laurier, Waterloo or Guelph may activate a library card at any time; please contact the Laurier library for more information
- all other participants may purchase a library card at a reduced rate of $10
- library cards are good for one year from activation date