Certificate in Mental Health Issues in the Classroom
About the Certificate
This certificate has been designed for elementary and high school teachers and other professionals in the education system or social agencies who wish to:
- improve their understanding of and ability to recognize mental health issues in the classroom
- improve their ability to support students experiencing mental health issues
- improve their ability to liaise, connect and communicate with community resources
- must have classroom or administrative responsibilities within the education system.
Participants must have or be working towards a Bachelor of Education and must have classroom or administrative responsibilities within the education system. Para-professionals and others may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
Online Course Work: 7 modules, 9 hours per module
In-class Workshops: Level 1 and Level 2, 6 hours each, Laurier's Waterloo campus
This certificate is a blend of online course work and in-class workshops. There are 7 modules in total, each requiring approximately 9 hours of online study. In addition to the online modules, 2 full-day, in-class workshops are required. These workshops provide an forum for discussion, exchange of experiences and ideas, as well as the opportunity to practice key skills.
Module 1 is mandatory and must be completed before participating in additional modules. Modules 2 - 7 can be taken in any order.
To enroll in the Level 1 in-class workshop, you must have completed Module 1 and 2 additional online modules (e.g., Modules 1, 2 and 4).
To enroll in the Level 2 in-class workshop, you must have completed Module 1 and at least 4 of the additional online modules (e.g., Modules 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6).
The online modules in the certificate are:
- Module 1 - Introduction to Mental Health Issues in the Classroom
- Module 2 - Depression and Other Mood Disorders: When Sadness Takes Over
- Module 3 - Anxiety Disorders: Moving Beyond Helping Students Cope with Everyday Stress
- Module 4 - Self-harm and Suicidality: Key Issues in Reducing Risk and Preventing Harm
- Module 5 - Body Image and Eating Disorders in the Classroom: When the Mirror Talks Back
- Module 6 - Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Substance Use and Dependence: The Impact of Addictions on Learning
- Module 7 - Disruptive Behaviour Disorders and Psychotic Disorders: When Challenged Students Challenge You
Module 1: $50
Modules 2 - 7: $150 each (includes in-class workshops)
Total Certificate: $950
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full tuition refund, less 20 per cent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to two weeks prior to the start of the first session
- after this point, no refunds will be issued
Please note that no refund of any sort will be given if the university is closed for any reason during your course.
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.