Kanata Centre: Vocal Techniques Course
The aim of this course is to aid the amateur singer in understanding the structure and function of the singing voice in order to further develop facility and appreciation of his/her instrument. The depth of topics and level of discussion will be catered to the interests of the participants.
- body alignment and the breath
- resonance and tonal quality
- registers of the voice, concepts of the "break" or passagio
- the use of vibrato and "choral" technique
- physiology of the vocal mechanism
- vowels, vocal colour, consonants and clarity
- vocal health and hearing
- performing a song: musical styles, working with an accompanist, performance practices and dealing with stage fright
- exercising your voice: extending range, increasing breath support and control, increasing facility of instrument
- final thoughts
Start/End Date: TBA
Course Fee: $75 (+ HST)
Instructor: Brandon Leis, HBMus Voice Performance, Opera Diploma, Wilfrid Laurier University
Location: Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, Waterloo campus
About the Instructor
Brandon has served as a church musician, choral scholar and church music director for over 15 years. He has a broad range of choral experience, in both professional and amateur choirs, having sang with such groups as St. John's Anglican church choice, Elora and the Da Capo Chamber choir, Waterloo. As a choral conductor he has served the Menno Youth singers, the Rockway Mennonite Collegiate Senior choice, the Rockway Concert Combo and the choir of his home congregation.
As an opera, oratorio and concert soloist he regularly performs with organizations and orchestras in south-western Ontario and Michigan. As an educator/lecturer he has taught at Eastwood Collegiate Institute, Rockway Mennonite Collegiate and Heritage College and Seminary in Cambridge.
Brandon currently teaches voice at Wilfrid Laurier University, where he has also taught vocal pedagogy, ministers as music director at Stirling Avenue Mennonite Church in Kitchener and is pursuing his Masters in Community Music at Laurier.
About the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
Location: Waterloo Lutheran Seminary [map], Wilfrid Laurier University - corner of Albert and Bricker Streets
Phone: 519.884.0710 x4967
- Notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email for a full fee refund, less 25 per cent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to two weeks prior to the start of the first session after the first session, no refunds will be issued.
Please note that no refund of any sort will be given if the university is closed for any reason during your course.
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.