Laurier Association for Lifelong Learning (LALL)
LALL courses offer a unique option for adult learning. Courses are non-credit and are intended for personal interest and self-education. LALL is a non-profit organization supported by Continuing Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. The distinction between a LALL course and a university course is that LALL courses have no exams, no grading, and no prerequisites!
Courses generally run two hours per week for six consecutive weeks and are offered in morning or afternoon sessions. LALL offers courses three times per year:
- Spring - usually runs
the second week of April through the third week of May
- Fall - usually runs the second week of October through the third week of
- Winter - usually runs the first week of February
through the middle of March
Fall 2013 Courses - Tentative
Ilse Friesen, Laurier - Highlights of Renaissance Art
Jan Overduin, Laurier (retired) - J.S. Bach's The Art of the Fugue (Die Kunst der Fuge)
Jerry Salloum, Laurier - Everything You Ever Want to Know About the Weather
- Bonnie Glencross, Laurier - Bone Detectives: How Bioarchaeologists Uncover Mysteries fo the Dead
- James Skidmore, uWaterloo - Germans Who Changed the World
- Mike Fich, uWaterloo - Extrasolar Planets and the Expanding Universe: Recent Changes in Our View of the Cosmos
- Elmer Thiessen - The Ethics of Evangelism
- Ernie Cosgrove, Laurier - Financial Planning for the Retired or Nearly Retierd: Part I
- Peter Russell, uWaterloo (retired) - Planet Earth: Reading the Rocks Beneath Our Feet
- Susan Johnson, Laurier - Can Free Markets Be Fair Markets?
Please note that all courses are tentative. Final details will be published in the fall brochure due August 6, 2013.
Courses will start the week of October 21 and will run until the final week in November. A detailed breakdown of each of the courses offered and the schedule of courses will be available in our fall brochure August 6, 2013.
Registrations will be received up to end of day on September 9 and will be processed on September 10. On that day, all registrations will be processed lottery-style and confirmation letters will be mailed out beginning September 11. Registrations will continue to be accepted until the beginning of class or until a course becomes full. Be sure to join our mailing list to ensure you receive your copy of the brochure once it is available.
Fee: $70 per course
Note: Your instructor may recommend additional items for purchases (e.g., books). They are only recommendations and are not mandatory for participation in the LALL courses.
For details on how to submit your registration, please refer to the course registration information page, brochure or LALL registration form and submit it to the address indicated with full payment. Please note that post-dated cheques will not be accepted. Course registrants are process lottery-style and admitted on the basis of payment received to a maximum of 25 per course. No advance registrations will be accommodated. Courses fill up quickly!
Join Our Mailing List
Be the first to receive the latest brochures, newsletters and community events as soon as they become available. All LALL details are sent out by email to ensure they reach you without delay and to be environmentally conscious. Please join our list by completing our online form here.
About the Instructors
Learn all about our LALL instructors here.
Take a few minutes and hear two first-hand accounts of what it's like to participate in a LALL course and what it's like to teach a LALL course:
See what else our participants have to say about their experience in LALL here.
- participants who are also alumni of Laurier, Waterloo or Guelph may activate a library card at any time; please contact the Laurier library for more information
- all other participants may purchase a library card at a reduced rate of $10
- library cards are good for one year from activation date
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full course fee refund, less a $12 administration fee, will be issues when notice of withdrawal is received prior to the first meeting of the class
- no refund can be made after the course begins
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, participants will be informed and all fees will be refunded.
For more information about LALL, please contact Continuing Studies by phone at 519.884.0710 x4628 or email.