Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Leaf
May 27, 2015

Canadian Excellence

Studying at Wilfrid Laurier University

Visit Citizenship & Immigration Canada for the most up to date information!

The Government of Canada regulates international study permits and visas through Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( Before students are permitted entry into Canada, there are certain documents that they must present to immigration officials. These documents include a valid passport, Study Permit (if applicable), Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) (if applicable), and admission letter. It is the student's responsibility to find out the immigration requirements and to process the necessary documents for travel to Canada. Students can find this information by getting in touch with the Canadian Consular Office nearest to them.

Study Permits: All international exchange students studying in Canada must have a valid study permit, except in cases where the duration of the program of study is 6 months or less. However, we strongly encourage all exchange students to apply for a Study Permit (even if the duration of study is less than 6 months) since generally it is not possible to apply for an initial Study Permit from within Canada, should they decide to remain in Canada for another academic term. In addition, full-time international students who hold a valid Study Permit may take a part-time job on campus while they are registered students. International students who do not hold a valid Study Permit are not eligible to work in Canada at all.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): Citizens of certain countries require a TRV to enter Canada. A TRV is not the same asa Study Permit. A TRV gives the student permission to enter Canada, where as a Study Permit gives him/her permission to study in Canada. See the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website ( for a list of countries that require a TRV. Temporary Resident Visas cannot be issued within Canada. They are available only at a Canadian Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission outside of Canada; students must apply for a TRV (if required) before entering Canada.