Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Centre for Student Success
February 7, 2016
Canadian Excellence

Frequently Asked Questions

Add/Drop Courses

For the most part, once the term has begun, all adding and dropping of courses is done electronically by the student on LORIS.
If the course is full, if it is past the add date, or for other exceptions to the rules established by each department,  the undergraduate program advisor will make the decision as to whether or not the student can be added to the course.
Courses dropped after each term's set deadline will be subjected to academic and financial penalities. 

Transferring Campuses

Laurier Brantford is an integral part of Wilfrid Laurier University. Its programs and operations are tied to those at Laurier's Waterloo campus. Students registered at Brantford can take courses on the Waterloo campus, and students registered at Waterloo can take courses at Brantford with permission from the appropriate program.

Normally, students may transfer between Laurier's campuses if they are in good standing, have successfully completed at least 4.0 credits and meet the entry standards of the degree program into which they wish to transfer. Students intending to transfer should obtain academic counselling from the campus, faculty or school into which they intend to transfer.

The Internal Campus Transfer form is available at the Office of the Registrar.

Course Prerequisites

Normally students are not allowed to register in a course without the appropriate prerequisite course.  Students who wish to take a course without the appropriate prerequisite course, are strongly encouraged to contact the department who is responsible for delivering the course.
These departmental links will take you to the department homepage and also provide specific details of the process for each department.


Deferred Examination Policy

For deferred exam information please call Anne Snyder at Ext. 6370 or Marlene Ibrahim at 6359.

Degree Requirements

The Registrar's Office is the best sourse for complete information on your degree or progression requirements.
If you require clarification of your degress requirements, please see the undergraduate program advisor in your department.

Full Courses

As a general rule, when a course is full a student must select another course.  However, there are exceptions to that rule, determined by department and/or instructor.  Students who are interested in adding a course that is listed as 'full' are advised to follow the following procedures.

Prior to and including the FIRST WEEK of classes:
Science students are encouraged to speak with the department if a course/lab that is required is full.
All other students must check LORIS frequently for the possiblity of an opening.

SECOND WEEK of classes and including the last day to add a course:
Contact the department that is responsible for delivering the course.  The program advisors will provide information about the process and the policy with respect to courses that are full.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Make sure you understand how to calculate your GPA right from first year and on through your years at Laurier.  If you find yourself in difficulty, Centre for Studnet Success is designed to help you improve your academic performance.  In addition your undergraduate program advisor is available to meet with you to discuss your issues.

The GPA calculator is for personal and informational purposes only. The calculations are unofficial. Your official GPA and academic record is available on LORIS.


If you want an advisor to look over your graduation requirements for a specific program you are to meet with the undergraduate program advisor for that department.

If you are doing a General BA/BSc with no designation, see the faculty advisor.

Once that has been done, follow the instructions from the Registrar's Office on applying to graduate.

You may find the Step by Step Guide to Graduation helpful for following the proper procedure.

Leaving Laurier: Withdrawal process

Complete withdrawal can be completed by dropping courses using LORIS, or emailed to the staff listed below. The policy outlined under Adding or Withdrawing from Courses applies.

Students who withdraw without following the proper procedure will not be eligible for any refund of fees, and will have each of the applicable courses recorded as a failure.  Students holding scholarships or loans must bear responsibility for meeting obligations in returning or repaying funds. 

Contact information, or if you have questions regarding this process can be directed, as follows:

Laurier telephone number: (519) 884-0710;
Registrar's Office Fax number: (519) 884-8826

Sarah Wong, or ext. 6355
Khaleel Hosein or ext 3452

Program Withdrawal Checklist

Letter of Permission: Taking a course at another university

Students registered at Laurier may take courses at another recognized university, provided a Letter of Permission has been obtained from the Office of the Registrar at Wilfrid Laurier University at least two weeks prior to registration in such courses. A Letter of Permission request will be assessed a non-refundable fee. This does not apply to any courses at the University of Waterloo - use the cross-registration form available in the Office of the Registrar or on-line.

A Letter of Permission will be issued only to a regular student, working toward a degree or diploma program, who has successfully completed a minimum of 3.0 credits at Wilfrid Laurier University, has obtained a minimum cumulative GPA of 4.00, and is not on academic probation in a general degree program. A Letter of Permission will not be issued for courses that are less than six weeks in length. Credit will not be granted for any courses taken on a Challenge for Credit basis.

A student who does not register for the course(s) specified in the Letter of Permission, must notify the Office of the Registrar at Wilfrid Laurier University, in writing, before the start of the session indicated in the letter. It is the student's responsibility to have an official transcript of final grades sent to the Office of the Registrar of Wilfrid Laurier University. If the official transcript is not received within one month after completion of the course, a grade of "F'' will be assigned to each course.

The letter grade attained in the course taken on a Letter of Permission will be included in the cumulative GPA as per the scale given in the Undergraduate Academic Calendar. For specific applications concerning the grading system refer to the current University Academic Calendar.

Prospective graduates should note that when the final course of a program is taken on a Letter of Permission in winter term, graduation will not be sooner than fall convocation. An official transcript must be received by the Office of the Registrar no later than May 1 for spring convocation and October 1 for fall convocation.

Click here to submit the Online Request Form for the Faculty of Arts & Brantford Campus.
Click here to submit the Online Request Form for the Faculty of Music, Science & SBE.

E-mail inquiries:  or

LORIS: How to Register

LORIS is used to register for all courses in all terms, including distance education courses and for adding and dropping of all courses through out the term.

Loris step-by-step

Management Option

The Management Option is available only to students registered in honours degree programs. The number of places available to students in each of the faculties (Arts, Brantford Campus, Music, Science) is in direct proportion to the number of honours students in each of the faculties.  For complete information, contact the advisors in SBE.

Minor: Requirements

A minor is a secondary area of concentration in an honours program requiring a sequence of at least 3.0 credits or equivalent in one subject as specified in the program description. 

A minor designation will appear on your final transcript but not on your degree.  You do not select a minor until you apply to graduate.  The Registrar's Office will then access your credits and award you a minor in a specific subject if you have met the program requirments.

Please see the university calendar or the departmental webpage for the complete information.


Must withdraw: What is means

For complete and current information on the University policies for students required to withdraw, it is the students responsibility to know and understand the University calendar.  The policy that each department follows with regard to requiring a student to withdraw, may vary.  It is in your best interest to contact your department if you have any questions.

There are three reasons why a student may be classified as a "Must Withdraw".

1.  If a student’s GPA falls below a 4.0 (C-) but is above a 2.0 (D), that student is allowed to continue on academic probation in order to raise their grades. If in the term in which that student completes their fourth credit since being placed on probation, the student’s overall GPA is not at or above 4.0, the student is classified as a "Must Withdraw".
2.  If a student’s overall GPA falls below 2.0 (D) at the end of an academic year they are required to withdraw immediately.
3.  If a student has more than 5.0 credits of failures, they are required to withdraw.

If you have further questions, please see your undergraduate program advisor or the central academic advisor.


Must Withdraw: Re-admission to Laurier

Please go to the Admissions Office for complete information on re-admission to Laurier after being asked to withdraw.


Any student may appeal to the appropriate faculty petitions committee any decision taken by an individual or body acting in the name of the university, which affects the academic standing of the student, and which the student believes was taken unfairly.   Students should become familiar with the University's policies and procedures on academic petitions as stated in the university calendar.
The faculty petitions committee will consider and decide all petitions within six (6) weeks of the filing of the petitions. All necessary documentation and information must be complete.
Students should submit the petition with the office of the dean of the academic unit in which they are registered (i.e., the Faculty of Arts, Music, Science, the School of Business & Economics).

One main exception to this is an appeal for a deferred examination which must be submitted to the academic unit in which the course is offered. The student will be advised of the decision and the reasons therefore, in writing.

Please carefully read all the information required and provided by the University with regards to petitioning.  Full understanding of the requirements and the process involved is completely the students responsibility.

Petition contact information

Program Selection: All students

Year 1 students normally register in May, after having received the offer of admission. Details regarding registration procedures are mailed to each student.

In March, returning Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 students have an opportunity to confirm their academic program for the following year by pre-registering online using LORIS. If the deadline to confirm your program has passed or access to the site is not possible, the online Program Selection Form may be used. In July and throughout the summer and fall/winter, students may then select their courses online. Refer to the LORIS information page on the website for start and end dates. Final grades and progression decisions are available through LORIS on the university website

Records and Registration forms

From the Registrar's Office, this link will take you to all the forms needed to register, petition, withdraw, change your address etc.

Returning to Laurier

If a student is Required to Withdraw from Laurier for poor performance, then they must go through the Admissions Office to Request Re-admission. Information on requirements, forms and deadlines, can be found at:
If a student voluntarily leaves Laurier and was in good standing at the time and have been away from Laurier for more than 18 months, then they would go through the Records Area of the Registrar's Office and submit a Request for Re-registration, which can be found on page 2 of There are online versions as well as print versions. If the student has studied elsewhere since they left Laurier then they would need to submit the transcript for possible transfer credit assessment. If not, the form will suffice for Records to set them up with a time ticket for the requested semester.
For those who left voluntarily and have been away from less than 18 months, they would fill out a Program Selection Form (again available on page 2 of This will go to Records who will set them up with a time ticket for the requested semester.
Step by Step Guide to Graduation

Step by Step Guide to Graduation


All transcript requests are handled through the Registrar's Office.

Transferring Campuses

Students that wish to transfer from the Brantford Campus to the Waterloo Campus or Waterloo Campus to Brantford Campus must complete the attached form.

Campus Transfer Form

Transfer Credits

If you are coming into Laurier with credits from another institution, the Undergraduate Admissionson Office will assess those credits and determine what can be applied towards your Laurier degree. Check out Admissions Office for complete information on transfer credits.

You may also take courses at other institutions and have the credit applied toward your degree.    Before you take the course you must contact your departmental Program Advisor and they will determine if the course(s) can be used toward your degree requirements. Second, if permission is granted, you must submit a Letter of Permission through the Registrar's Office.
Letter of Permission information

Courses at the University of Waterloo follow a different procedure - use the cross-registration form available in the Office of the Registrar or online.

Transferring to BBA or Kin: current students

Current Laurier students interested in transferring into either the BBA or Kinesiology program, should first speak with the undergraduate program advisor in the department.

You will find the form to apply for a transfer on the Registrar's Office section of Important Forms

UW Cross-registration

You can take any course at UW provided the same course is not offered at Laurier, is not offerred during the time you wish to take it and/or there is room available in the course for you.  UW students get priority over Laurier students for courses offered on their campus.

Cross-registration procedures:
Please read the following before printing the form:

  • You are responsible for obtaining the required signatures and printing sufficient copies.
  • Your cross-registration form will not be processed if any of the required information and/or signatures are missing.
  • You must be in a degree program at Wilfrid Laurier University. Post-degree students are not eligible and should apply for admission at UW.
  • You must complete a separate cross-registration form for each term, and for on-campus or distance education courses.
  • Hard copy forms are available in the Registrar's Office at both universities.
  • Note that 1-week or 3-week courses at UW will not count towards a degree at WLU and will not be approved.
  • Students will need to fill out and send in the Undergraduate Studies Cross-Registration Form to the Registrar's Office once all required signatures have been obtained.
  • The form is available as a PDF file; If you are a UW student taking a WLU Online Learning course, you must also complete the Wilfrid Laurier University Online Learning Form. If you have any questions regarding these forms, contact the Registrar's Office at (519) 884-0710.  
Withdrawing Checklist