1. 2011. Religion in the Ranks: Belief and Religious Experience in the Canadian Forces. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. 224 pages.
1. 2013 (in press). The World is my Classroom: International Learning and Canadian Higher Education. Joanne Benham Rennick and Michel Desjardins, Eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. 256 pages.
Chapters in Books (Peer reviewed)
1. (Accepted, forthcoming spring 2014). “Doing the Right Thing – Whatever That May Be: The Impact of Uncertain Values on the Conduct of War in the Canadian Forces.” In Religion in the Military Worldwide. Ron E. Hassner, Ed. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.
2. 2013 (in press). Co-author with Michel Desjardins. Towards a Pedagogy of Good Global Citizenship. In The World is my Classroom: International Learning and Canadian Higher Education. 10-28. Joanne Benham Rennick and Michel Desjardins, Eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
3. 2013 (in press). Canadian Values, Good Global Citizenship, and Service Learning in Canada: A Socio-Historical Analysis. In The World is my Classroom: International Learning and Canadian Higher Education. 36-73. Joanne Benham Rennick and Michel Desjardins, Eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
4. 2013 (in press). Co-author with Cathleen DiFruscio. Culture Shock, Cognitive Dissonance, or Cognitive Negotiation? Terms Matter in Service Learning Programs. In The World is my Classroom: International Learning and Canadian Higher Education. 100-132. Joanne Benham Rennick and Michel Desjardins, Eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
5. 2006. “Caring for All in a New Context.” Chaplains in War and Peace: Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada. Michael L. Hadley and L. A. Kenny, Eds. 111-132. Victoria BC: Victoria, Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. (under review). “Learning That Makes a Difference: Pedagogy and Practice for Learning Abroad” in Teaching and Learning Inquiry.
2. (under review). “Social Innovation and Social Engineering: A Case Study of Church and State in Chile 1973-1983” in Religion, State and Society.
3. 2013. “Is religion a force for good? Reformulating the discourse on religion and international development” in Canadian Journal of Development Studies. 35(2): pages pending. First published online May 14, 2013 as doi: 10.1080/02255189.2013.787052. Available from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02255189.2013.787052#.UZJzOYJ1E7A.
4. 2013. “Canadian Values and Military Operations in the 21st Century” in Armed Forces and Society. 39 (3): 511-530. First published online April 26, 2012 as doi: 10.1177/0095327X12441326. Available from http://afs.sagepub.com/content/early/recent#content-block.
5. 2012. “The New Mission Field? International Service Learning in Canadian Universities” in Journal of Global Citizenship and Equity Education. Eds. Rebecca Tiessen and Marc Epprecht. 2 (1): 91-107. Available online at http://journals.sfu.ca/jgcee/index.php/jgcee/article/view/56/39.
6. 2011. “Canadian Military Chaplains: Bridging the Gap Between Alienation and Operational Effectiveness in a Pluralistic and Multi-Cultural Context” in Religion, State and Society: A Special Issue on Military Chaplaincy. Eds. Stella Rock and Philip Walters. 39 (March): 93-109.
7. 2010. “Towards an Interfaith Ministry: Religious Adaptation and Accommodation in the Canadian Forces Chaplaincy,” Studies in Religion 39 (1): 77-91.
8. 2007. Co-authored with David Seljak. “The Persistence of Religious Discrimination in Canada,” The Ecumenist: A Journal of Theology, Culture and Society, Vol. 44 No. 4 (Fall 2007): 1-8.
9. 2007. Co-authored with David Seljak. “Accommodating Religious Diversity in Canada” Canadian Diversity/ Diversité canadienne: Canadian American Research Series 4 (1): 9-10.
10. 2006. “Coping with Trauma through Spiritual Remembrance: A Case Study of Canadian Veterans of the Vietnam War,” Axis Mundi 7: 1-24.
11. 2005. “The Ministry of Presence: The Evolving Role of the Canadian Forces Chaplaincy.” Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute 7(4): 1-18.
Research reports or reports produced for the government
1. 2011. Co-author with David Seljak and Nick Shrubsole. “Christianity and Citizenship” In Religion and Citizenship in Canada: Issues, Challenges, and Opportunities. 14-54. Paul Bramadat, Ed. March 31, 2011. Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Ottawa, Ontario. 144 pages.
2. 2009. “Religion in the Canadian Military: Adapting to an Increasingly Pluralistic Society,” Horizons: a policy research journal of the Policy Research Initiative in Canada March 2009 10 (2): 40-43. [Available online at http://www.policyresearch.gc.ca/page.asp?pagenm=2009-0008_09]
3. 2007. Co-author with David Seljak. Other contributors include Andrea Schmidt, Kathryn Da Silva and Paul Bramadat. “Religion and Multiculturalism in Canada: The Challenge of Religious Intolerance and Discrimination, Final Report,” March 31, 2007. Multiculturalism and Human Rights Program at the Department of Canadian Heritage, Ottawa, Ontario. 126 pages.
1. 2004. “Book Review: Genocide in Rwanda: Complicity of the Churches.” The Ecumenist 42(1): 15 -16.
2. 2005/2006. “Book Review: Religion and Ethnicity in Canada.” Dialogue and Alliance 19(2): 11-12.
1. 2010-present. One Path, Many Ways: The Camino Documentary. Contributor. Executive producer Jacoba Atlas.
1. Deadly 401 Crash Near Cobourg. The Globe and Mail. February 8, 2007, A1.
1. 2013, May 18. “Christian Canada No More? Immigration, religion and diversity in Canada”. Radio interview on The Drew Marshall Show, Oakville ON http://www.drewmarshall.ca/listen2013.html#130518 .
2. 2012, November 21. Interview with Lindsay Purchase: “Exploring the value of voluntourism.” The Cord. Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo.
3. 2012, April 15. “Multiculturalisme et l'absence de conflits interreligieux.” Démocratie et religions: D'une prière à l'autre. Multi-lingual radio documentary on religion in Canada. Radio Canada International http://www.rcinet.ca/religions/. French discussion.
4. 2012, April 15. “Multiculturalism and the lack of interfaith conflicts in Canada”. Democracy and religions: from one prayer to another. Multi-lingual radio documentary on religion in Canada. Radio Canada International http://www.rcinet.ca/religions/#/en/gallery. English discussion.
5. 2012, April 15. “La ausencia de conflictos interreligiosos violentos en Canadá, ¿está relacionado con la política multicultural en este país?” Democracia y Religiones, de una plegaria a otra. Multi-lingual radio documentary on religion in Canada. Radio Canada International http://www.rcinet.ca/religions/es/. Spanish discussion.
Published reviews of my work:
1. Ridell, Kathleen A. 2013. “Book Review: Religion in the Ranks: Belief and Religious
Experience in the Canadian Forces, by Joanne Benham Rennick”. Studies in Religion/Sciences Religieuses 42 (1): 145-146. Available from http://sir.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/42/1/145?etoc
2. Malloy, Jonathan. 2011. “The Fighting Faithful.” Review of Religion in the Ranks: Belief and Religious Experience in the Canadian Forces, by Joanne Benham Rennick. The Literary Review of Canada. 19 (9): 7-8.
3. Cudworth, Laura. 2011. “Faith in Forces Complex Issue.” Review of Religion in the Ranks: Belief and Religious Experience in the Canadian Forces, by Joanne Benham Rennick. Sun Media Corporation. November 11: A1-2.