MA Theology Application Instructions
For additional questions, please contact the Seminary Office
Address all communications to:
Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
Attn: Admissions Coordinator
75 University Avenue West,
Waterloo, ON, N2L 3C5
Phone: (519) 884-0710 ext. 3498
Fax: (519) 725-2434
Note: Starting 2014, the MA Theology: Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy program will have a Fall start only. The MA Theology: Christian Studies program will continue accepting applications each term. Applications will be processed when the appropriate application form, application fee, and all supporting materials have been received. Your completed dossier will be reviewed by the Academic Admissions Committee and you may be invited for a personal interview. The decision of the Committee will be shared with the applicant normally within three weeks of receipt of completed application. Courses can be registered for after an offer of admission is accepted. Application materials will not be returned.
1) Familiarize yourself with the program and admission requirements for the MA Theology.
2) Complete the online application form via Wilfrid Laurier University and the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC), found here: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=36&p=635. A non-refundable application fee of $100 is paid online by credit card. Should you encounter technical difficulties with the application, please contact OUAC directly at 519-823-1940.
3) Order original transcripts from all college and universities you have attended, included incomplete degrees and diplomas. Transcripts from some Ontario colleges and universities schools can be ordered during the OUAC application process and will be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary electronically. If your institution was not on the list, you will need to contact that institution directly and order a transcript to be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. If you attended Wilfrid Laurier University, you will not need to order that transcript. We cannot accept photocopied or unofficial transcripts, nor can we accept original transcripts in opened envelopes. Transcripts do not need to be ordered for WLS alumni applying for another degree as we will have your transcripts on file.
4) Arrange two letters of reference. Print out confidential assessment forms during the OUAC application and deliver to referees. The letters of reference should be given back to the applicant in a sealed envelope with a signature accross the envelope seal and the letters included in the application package delivered to the Seminary Office. Alternatively, reference letters can be mailed directly to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. One of the references should be academic -- only if you have not attended university in the last five years is an academic reference not required. If one or both of the persons named is closely related to you, please request one or two additional references as necessary from the Admissions Coordinator.
5) Save and print the Submission Summary at the end of the OUAC application process. OUAC does not notify WLS of your application or forward the Submission Summary. Sign the Submission Summary and enclose
6) Complete and print Personal Information Form found here. Instructions for the separate Personal Statement are detailed on this form.
7) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam (if applicable): Applicants whose language of instruction for an undergraduate degree was other than English must furnish evidence of proficiency in English usage prior to admission. A minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or its equivalent is required. Please arrange to have the official results of TOEFL sent directly to the Seminary Office as soon as these are available.
8) Mail signed Submission Summary (printed from OUAC, sign the second page), Personal Information Form and Personal Statement to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. Include a résumé of your academic and relevant experience. Include letters of reference and transcripts unless they are being mailed directly, and the letter of endorsement and TOEFL score if applicable. All application materials must by the application deadline of January 15th.
9) Contact the WLS Admissions Coordinator at 519-884-0710 ext 3498 after you have submitted your application so we know to expect your application materials. All application materials must arive to the Seminary Office by the deadline.
When will you hear your admission decision?
Application decision letters are normally mailed six - eight weeks after the application deadline.