There are two teaching certificates available for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from all campuses in the Laurier community.
The University Teaching Foundations Certificate (UTF) consists of a series of hands-on workshops and microteaching sessions to provide a basic foundation for success in the classroom as a teaching assistant as well as gain transferable skills to use in future employment opportunities. The certificate can be completed in as little as one term. Click here for full certificate and registration details.
A second certificate, the University Teaching Certificate (UTC) focuses on teaching in your academic setting, scholarship of teaching and learning, practicing fundamental skills in a classroom setting, and preparing for an academic teaching career. There are two certificate streams: one aimed at Masters students and a second aimed at Doctoral students. The certificate is very flexible as a large portion of work can be completed on your own time in a self-directed manner. Completion of the UTF Certificate is a required pre-requisite for this certificate. Click here for full certificate and registration details.
The current PhD-level non-credit course will continue to be offered, a cross-institutional committee of experienced and interested faculty will be brought together in the new academic year to review the program to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of Laurier's PhD students.
Waterloo Campus - Winter 2016 Workshop Registration
Workshops Required for UTF (Click date to Register):
• Planning for your Classes | January 21 or March 29
• Active Learning in Your Classroom | January 27 or March 2
• Understanding your Students | January 25 or February 9
• How Can I Tell my Students are Learning? | January 22 or March 17
Only one of the following is required:
• The Intercultural Classroom | March 14
• Intercultural Communication in Feedback and Conflict | March 21
• Describing your Teaching Approach
• Describing your Teaching Approach: Peer Feedback
• Graduate Perspectives: Current Topics in Higher Education (UTF Participants also welcome!)
• Team-based Learning (all grad students are welcome to attend!)
• Register for February 11, 2016
• Register for February 17, 2016
• Register for February 24, 2016
• Register for March 2, 2016
• Register for March 11, 2016
• Register for March 22, 2016
Brantford Campus - Winter 2016 Workshop Registration
Workshops Required for UTF (Click to Register):
• Planning for your Classes
• Active Learning in Your Classroom
• Understanding your Students
• How Can I Tell my Students are Learning?
• The Intercultural Classroom - If you need to attend this workshop, contact Kyra (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Graduate Perspectives: Current Topics in Higher Education (Waterloo Campus, UTF Participants also welcome!)
UTF Intensive Offering (Winter 2016)
The University Teaching Foundations Certificate is also offered in a intensive session in which the five required workshops and two required microteaching sessions are offered through 6 sessions over a span of 10 days.
• Register Here (Registration Opens April 1st)
Dr. Kyra Jones, Educational Developer
email@example.com | ext. 4736