A Step-by-Step Guide to Graduating
The Laurier community gathers every June and October to celebrate the awarding of degrees at Convocation. Use this Convocation Checklist to help you complete the journey and enjoy your day to the fullest.
Confirm with your Academic Advisor that you're met all your graduation requirements.
You can also find information regarding your program requirements in the Academic Calendars.
You are required to
apply to graduate regardless of whether you intend to participate in the
scheduled ceremony events.
The best way to confirm the date and time is through LORIS. You'll be able to find it under Unofficial Record of Course Work.
As dates and times are subject to change, any changes will be updated on LORIS. For a complete list of ceremony times please click here.
If you have any accessibility concerns or require accommodations please contact us via email@example.com or 519.884.0710 ext. 3139.
For your convenience, Undergraduate and Master’s degree candidates, who have been cleared to graduate, will be able to rent their required Academic Regalia online prior to their convocation date. The rental fee is $25.
PhD and DMin Candidates must reserve their Academic Regalia with the Bookstore six weeks prior to graduation. The rental fee is $115.
Prior to your ceremony, an email will be sent to your Laurier email account with a link to the rental website, along with the cut-off date for online payment. If you haven't pre-paid online your rental fee of $25 rental must be brought with you on the day of your ceremony.
For more information regarding gown rentals please visit the Bookstore’s website.
Due to the number of students graduating some ceremonies may require guest tickets.
It is imperative that you check your mylaurier e-mail regularly in May so that you receive timely information regarding the ticketing process. Guests without tickets may watch the ceremony online or in the overflow room on campus.
For friends and family who cannot join you, all Laurier Convocation ceremonies are broadcast live online. The live webcast will be available 15 minutes prior to the start of each ceremony.
Doors will open 1 hour prior to the ceremony at which time your guests are invited to select their seats.
We want your guests to enjoy your ceremony and are here to help you make it wonderful for them.
We can assist with making accessibility arrangements for seating and parking. Please give us at least 48 hours notice so that we can ensure that their needs are met.
The City of Waterloo has some great hotels for your out of town guest to enjoy.
If your international guests require a visa to enter Canada we've got information to guide you through the process.
If you are an international student and have guests from out of the country attending your ceremony please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the country your guests are arriving from.
Has a faculty member inspired you or had a wonderful impact on your University career? Invite them to your ceremony using our personalized e-vite.
Is there a special someone who helped you get to graduation day? Tell them how much you appreciate their support by making a Class of 2016 Gift
- your donation will support Laurier's Student Emergency Bursary Fund.
Your message of thanks will appear on the life feed at Convocation for
your parents, friends and professors to see, prior to your convocation
ceremony. Visit www.wlu.ca/classgiving for more details.
All students are required to apply to graduate regardless of whether you intend to participate in the scheduled ceremony.
When you apply to graduate you can select whether you are attending the ceremony. You will be asked to provide an address and telephone number for mailing your degree in the application to graduate.
Degrees/diplomas will be mailed approximately 2 weeks following convocation to the address provided on your application. Degrees/diplomas are not available for pick up in advance.
If you need to make a change to your selection for ceremony attendance contact:
Sarah Wong for Faculties of Education, Human & Social Sciences, Liberal Arts, Music, Science, and SBEKhaleel Hosein for Faculty of Arts and Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Plan to arrive 1 hour in advance of the ceremony to:
- Collect your participation card in the Bricker Academic Building
- If you have a hold on your account your participation card will not be available
- Once you collect your participation card, please spell your name phonetically on the card. Do not completely cross out the correct spelling of your name rather draw a single line through it.
- Rent or collect your gown and hood in the Bricker Academic Building
- If you have pre-booked your gown and hood online please bring a copy of your receipt with you. If you have not pre-booked your regalia, you must have the $25 rental fee with you.
- PhD and DMin Candidates must reserve their Academic Regalia with the bookstore six weeks prior to graduation. The Rental Fee is $115.
- Graduate procession at the Science Building
- The Marshal will give line up instructions based on the number found on your participation card
- Don't bring personal items with you to the procession
- Following the ceremony:
- Return your gown and hood in the Bricker Academic Building
- Collect your class composite if you have had your photograph taken by LifeTouch Photographers and have paid your sitting fee.
- Join your classmates, family and friends at the faculty receptions hosted on campus following each ceremony.
- Arriving at the ceremony:
- Guest parking is available at the Complex and across the street in the Diamond Parking Lot.
- Doors will open an hour prior to the ceremony’s start time for guests to select their seats.
- Guests for whom accessible seating has been arranged are asked to identify themselves to volunteers to be directed to their seats
- Presents for your new graduate:
- Giftware, grad rings and Laurier clothing can be purchased through the Bookstore. Flowers, grad rings and other memorabilia will be available for purchase at the facility.
- Degree frames may be pre-ordered or purchased on the day of Convocation. Proceeds on frames Purchased day-of help to support student programming and event. During and after the ceremonies volunteers from the Student Alumni Association will be present to offer complimentary degree framing on site. Please direct any questions to email@example.com
- Following the ceremony:
- Faculty receptions will be hosted on campus following each ceremony. Graduates, family and friends are all encouraged to attend the celebratory receptions.