Student and HQP Supervision
Last updated September 2013
I supervise undergraduate students (MA489 - Honours Seminar, NSERC USRAs, WLU Undergraduate RAs) and graduate students. I also sometimes hire students, both undergraduate and graduate students, as contract research assistants to work on specific projects. Please see the Student Recruiting section of my website for more information and potential opportunities. Feel free to contact me (either by email or drop by my office) if you have any questions about working with me.
- Devan Becker (PhD - Statistics; jointly supervised with W.J. Braun and C.B. Dean)
- John Thompson (PhD - Statistics; jointly supervised with W.J. Braun and C.B. Dean)
Amy Morin (post-MSc RA; jointly supervised with M.D. Flannigan, D.L. Martell and B.M. Wotton)
- Chelsea Uggenti (undergraduate RA)
- Amy Morin, "A Spatial Analysis of Forest Fire Survival and a Marked Cluster Process for Simulating Fire Load" (Thesis), 2012-14.
- Limeng Shi, "An Introduction to Statistical Quality Control with Applications to Historical Forest Fire Data", 2013-14.
- Philip Munz, "A Framework for Modelling Counts of Wildfire Ignitions with Applications to Forest Fires in Alberta, Canada", 2012-13.
- Hui Gao, "A Suite of R Functions for Fitting and Comparing Right-Skewed and Heavy-Tailed Wildfire Size Distributions", 2011-13 (jointly supervised with R.J. Kulperger).
Shyam Dadimuni, "Exploring Forest Fire Ignition Data with Functional Data Analysis", 2011-12.
- Jisana Noorjahan, "Comparing the Power of Poisson and Logistic GLMs with an Application to People-caused Forest Fire Ignitions", 2011-12.
Alisha Albert-Green, "A Nonparametric Framework for Quantifying Temporal Trends in the Seasonality of Forest Fire Risk" (Thesis), 2009-11 (jointly supervised with C.B. Dean).
Kai Kan, "Modelling the Fire Weather Index with Autoregressive Processes", 2010-11 (jointly supervised with B.J. White; team project with Yi Wang).
Yi Wang, "Modelling the Fire Weather Index with Autoregressive Processes" 2010-11 (jointly supervised with B.J. White; team project with Kai Kan).
Jonathan Lee, "Forest Fire Risk Assessment in Muskoka", 2008-09 (jointly supervised with W.J. Braun).
- Alisha Albert-Green. U. Western Ontario, graduate RA. Fall 2012.
- Vivien Wong. Simon Fraser U., graduate RA (jointly supervised with C.B. Dean). Summer 2008.
NSERC USRA Students:
Benjamin Skinner, "Risk Measures and Forest Fires", 2012.
Priya Grewal, "A Comparison of Logistic-based Models for Large Forest Fire Ignitions", 2010.
Laaraib Khattak, "Support Success in Post-Secondary Mathematics Education: A Cross-Sectional Institutional Analysis", 2014.
Stephanie Krohn, "A Case-Control Study on the Effectiveness of Restricted Fire Zones", 2013.
Benjamin Skinner, "Simulation for Total Area Burned by Forest Fires in Ontario", 2012-13.
Devan Becker, "Exploring the Lifetimes of Forest Fires", 2012.
Alisha Albert-Green, "Modelling the Ontario Fire Weather Index", 2008 (jointly supervised by W.J. Braun and D.L. Martell).
Kimberly Bridge, "Analysis of Alberta Aspen Leaf-out and Weather Data", 2007 (jointly supervised by W.J. Braun and B.M. Wotton).
MA489 (Honours Projects):
- Jennifer Fox, "Procedures Used to Improve Post-Secondary Success in Mathematics", 2013-14 (jointly supervised with D. Kotsopoulos).
- Devan Becker, "A Log-Linear Analysis of Forest Fires in Bayesian and Frequentist Frameworks", 2012-13.
Lindsey Slade, "Introduction to Logistic Regression", 2012-13.
Kyle Doherty, "Statistical Modelling Using Mixtures of Generalized Linear Models", 2011-12.
- Alana Lippert, "Kernel Smoothing", 2011-12.
- Amy Morin, "Life Contingencies", 2011-12.
- Helen Cheyne, "Option Pricing and Stock Simulation Using a Hidden Markov Model", 2010-11 (jointly supervised with Y.G. Lai).
- Priya Grewal, "An Introduction to Parametric and Nonparametric Regression", 2009-10 (jointly supervised with Z. Wang).
Post-Grad Research Assistants:
- Denise Gutermuth. July - August 2010.