Headlines (Campus Updates)
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Getting ready for life at Laurier
Whether you are a student planning to live in residence or off-campus, the first year of university is an exciting one. It is also a time of transition. To help get ready for September, below is a list of important information to help first-year students transition to life at Laurier's Waterloo or Brantford campuses.
Iím going to be living in residence. What should I pack?
For apartment-style and dormitory-style residence living, students are encouraged to bring small personal items with them, as well as:
- Bed linens, pillow and comforter
- A desk lamp (no halogen lamps)
- Clothes hangers
- Robe and slippers
- Alarm clock
- Power bar with surge protection (must be certified for use in Canada)
- Headphones for personal audio equipment
- Personal recreation equipment (rollerblades, football etc.)
- Laundry basket and detergent
- Personal toiletries and toilet paper
- Container to carry toiletries to and from the bathroom (dormitory-style living)
- Kitchen items (for apartment-style living)
- An office/desk chair
- Furniture from home, including couches, beds, bean-bag chairs, mattresses (you are allowed to bring an office/desk chair)
- Halogen lighting of any kind
- Heaters and heat lamps
- Large speakers and big stereo systems
- Subwoofers for computer sound systems
- Fridge units and cooking appliances
- Pets (small fish tanks/goldfish permitted)
- Candles and incense
- Beer bottles and cooler bottles
- Electrical outlet wall tap (octopus plug)
- Noise-cancelling headphones
More details about residence life at the Waterloo campus.
More details about residence life at the Brantford campus.
When is registration for residence?
At Laurierís Waterloo campus, residence registration will be held Sept. 1 or Sept. 2 (depending on building assignments) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Athletic Complex. For information on residence registration check-in, please visit the residence registration webpage.
At Laurierís Brantford campus, residence registration takes place Sept. 2 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Research Academic Centre (150 Dalhousie St.). Visit the residence registration webpage for more details and move-in times.
How can I contact the Department of Residence?
To contact the Residence Office in Waterloo, visit the Contact Us page.
To contact Residence Life in Brantford, visit the Residence Life webpage.
*Please note: Students contacting the Department of Residence must use their MyLaurier.ca email address. This helps staff reasonably validate the identity of the Laurier student, and also allows for a more personal relationship between the student and staff at the university.
For more details, visit the list of residence FAQs.
Iím going to be living off-campus. What support can I expect?
The Laurier Off-Campus University Students (LOCUS) program at Laurierís Waterloo campus offers the fun and support of a residential community, without the bricks and mortar. Students will be supported by an off-campus advisor (OCA), and will get to connect with a community of peers. For more details, visit the LOCUS webpage.
When is LOCUS registration?
LOCUS registration at Laurierís Waterloo campus will take place Sept. 2, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Concourse. Students wishing to register online during the summer can do so here. The cost of registration is $85.