Headlines (Campus Updates)
Future Students - International
A night to celebrate Laurier’s best and brightest students
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Wilfrid Laurier University’s Awards of Distinction – the university’s most prestigious awards – were bestowed recently on some of Laurier’s finest students.
The annual event was held to celebrate and recognize student success.
The evening’s keynote speaker was Sunil Kuruvilla, a Laurier alumnus and award-winning playwright who marked a significant milestone in 2009 with the production of his most recent play, Rice Boy, at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival.
Kuruvilla spoke of the pursuit of excellence. Drawing from his experiences, he encouraged others to face rejection and self-doubt with grace and to overcome challenges through perseverance and determination.
“Laurier’s annual Awards of Distinction ceremony is an outstanding event as it honours Laurier students who embody the essence of our university: the importance of living a life of leadership and purpose,” said Rob Donelson, Laurier’s vice-president: development and alumni relations. “The ceremony is important not only because it is a celebration of student achievement, but also because it affords us with an opportunity to honour and thank the donors who make these important awards a reality.”
Added to this year’s ceremony were five new Awards of Distinction, including: The Martin Business Administration Award of Distinction, which was established by Rick and Nancy Martin to attract and recognize the best and brightest students entering the business program at Laurier; the Merriam School of Music Award, which was established by the Merriam School of Music to recognize the role that music, and music education in particular, play in enriching the life of a community, and to encourage music students to strive for excellence; the Ken Murray Concerto Competition Award of Distinction, which was granted to the winner of the Ken Murray Concerto Competition; the Dr. John Weir Economics Award of Distinction, which was established by the university in memory of Dr. John Weir, president of Laurier from 1982-1992, to recognize the contributions he made during his tenure from 1965 until his retirement in 1992, and beyond. The final new Award of Distinction was the Katherine Wong Mulholland Award, established in memory of Katherine Wong Mulholland by her colleagues at Deloitte & Touche LLP and family and friends, to recognize the contributions Katherine made to the Laurier community and to encourage others to emulate her example.
In total, 16 donor-funded Awards of Distinction were presented. The entire Laurier community is most grateful for the generous support of the donors who chose to support post-secondary education through the establishment of an Award of Distinction at Laurier.
The Awards of Distinction and the student winners for 2010:
- The Meta Voss Music Award Danielle Johannes
- The Marjorie H. Brown Scholarship in Chemistry Nguyen Hoang
- The Marjorie H. Brown Scholarship in Chemistry Kevin Desmarais
- The Marjorie H. Brown Scholarship in French Negar Shayan
- CIBC Leaders in Entrepreneurship Award Anthony Armata
- The Walter and Jean Hachborn Award of Distinction Sasha Hennebury
- The Beth Kidnie Memorial Leadership Award Cassandra Taylor
- The Martin Business Administration Award Megan Dujlovic
- Merriam School of Music Award of Distinction Sarah Gates
- The Ken Murray Concerto Competition Award Aimee Foster
- Scotiabank International Entrance Scholarship Shaikh Ahmed
- Scotiabank International Entrance Scholarship Emily Best
- Scotiabank International Entrance Scholarship Hyder Karim
- Scotiabank International Entrance Scholarship Vreshin Nagarajan
- Sun Life Financial “Bright Future” Award Keegan Castrillo
- Sun Life Financial “Bright Future” Award Helen Cheyne
- Sybase iAnywhere Scholarship Angela Simpson
- The Vasha Award Kyle Gerow
- Dr. John Weir Economics Award of Distinction Leila Bautista
- The Garfield Weston Scholars Program Kara Chiki
- The Garfield Weston Scholars Program Jayne Hammond
- The Garfield Weston Scholars Program Jessica McSavage
- The Garfield Weston Scholars Program Shannon Walters
- The Katherine Wong Mulholland Award Jessica Newman