Headlines (Campus Updates)
Future Students - International
Getting ready for life at Laurier
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Whether you are a student planning to live in residence or off-campus, the first year of university is an exciting one. It is also a time of transition. To help get ready for September, below is a list of important information to help first-year students transition to life at Laurier's Waterloo or Brantford campuses.
Iím going to be living in residence. What should I pack?
For apartment-style and dormitory-style residence living, students are encouraged to bring small personal items with them, as well as:
- Bed linens, pillow and comforter
- A desk lamp (no halogen lamps)
- Clothes hangers
- Robe and slippers
- Alarm clock
- Power bar with surge protection (must be certified for use in Canada)
- Headphones for personal audio equipment
- Personal recreation equipment (rollerblades, football etc.)
- Laundry basket and detergent
- Personal toiletries and toilet paper
- Container to carry toiletries to and from the bathroom (dormitory-style living)
- Kitchen items (for apartment-style living)
- An office/desk chair
- Furniture from home, including couches, beds, bean-bag chairs, mattresses (you are allowed to bring an office/desk chair)
- Halogen lighting of any kind
- Heaters and heat lamps
- Large speakers and big stereo systems
- Subwoofers for computer sound systems
- Fridge units and cooking appliances
- Pets (small fish tanks/goldfish permitted)
- Candles and incense
- Beer bottles and cooler bottles
- Electrical outlet wall tap (octopus plug)
- Noise-cancelling headphones
More details about residence life at the Waterloo campus.
More details about residence life at the Brantford campus. ?
When is registration for residence?
At Laurierís Waterloo campus, residence registration will be held Sept. 1 or Sept. 2 (depending on building assignments) from 9 a.m. to†2 p.m. at the Athletic Complex. For information on residence registration check-in, please visit the residence registration webpage.
At Laurierís Brantford campus, residence registration takes place Sept. 2 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Research Academic Centre (150 Dalhousie St.). Visit the residence registration webpage for more details and move-in times.
?How can I contact the Department of Residence?
To contact the Residence Office in Waterloo, visit the Contact Us page.
To contact Residence Life in Brantford, visit the Residence Life webpage.
*Please note: Students contacting the Department of Residence must use their MyLaurier.ca email address. This helps staff reasonably validate the identity of the Laurier student, and also allows for a more personal relationship between the student and staff at the university.
For more details, visit the list of residence FAQs.
Iím going to be living off-campus. What support can I expect?
The Laurier Off-Campus University Students (LOCUS) program at Laurierís Waterloo campus offers the fun and support of a residential community, without the bricks and mortar. Students will be supported by an off-campus advisor (OCA), and will get to connect with a community of peers. For more details, visit the LOCUS webpage.
When is LOCUS registration?
LOCUS registration at Laurierís Waterloo campus will take place Sept. 2, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Concourse. Students wishing to register online during the summer can do so here. The cost of registration is $85.