Information and Communication Technologies
An Advisory in Regard to Email Attachments and Web Browsing
As we prepare for a new school year the Laurier ITS department would like to alert the Laurier community to the following issues.
- The Internet is in many ways a wild frontier. Be skeptical of every email that you receive and every web page that you browse.
- The Laurier ITS department or Helpdesk will never initiate an email asking for logins, passwords or other personal information.
- Your bank will never send you an email asking for logins, passwords or other personal information.
- Never open an email attachment unless you are certain of the veracity of its contents. If in doubt, phone the sender or the ITS Helpdesk.
- Never browse to a URL embedded in an email unless you are certain of its veracity. If in doubt, phone the sender or the ITS Helpdesk.
Manager, Computer and Network Security
Wilfrid Laurier University