Cooking safety reminders from SHERM
Safety, Health, Environment and Risk Management (SHERM) reminds all students to be engaged and aware when cooking.
Kitchen Fire Safety Tips
- Never leave stove top unattended when cooking (Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of fires in Ontario)
- Cook only in designated areas
- Cook only when you are alert
- Never cook while you are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Keep the stovetop, burners and oven clean
- Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, oven mitts, paper or plastic bags, boxes and curtains - away from stovetop
- Wear short sleeves, or fitted or rolled-up long sleeves when cooking
For more information, please visit https://www.lbstudentaffairs.ca/firesafety or www.wlu.ca/sherm.