Headlines (Campus Updates)
Mathematics Assistance Centre
Laurier prep courses help incoming students transition to university life
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
For incoming students, the summer before the first year of university can be a time of great excitement, curiosity and perhaps a bit of nervousness about what lies ahead. Laurier offers university prep courses that prepare students for the university experience and help ease the transition from high school to post-secondary education.
UPrep allows students to experience academic life through assignments and lectures that focus on key skills such as time management, learning styles, critical thinking, active reading and listening, study-aid development, note taking and test-taking strategies. It also helps students with researching and writing strategies to improve thesis development, critical reading and reflection as well as proofreading skills and tips on how to write academically and properly cite sources.
Worried about calculus? Laurier has that covered too. TriAGe is a refresher of material covered in the Grade 12 Advanced Functions course that reinforces fundamental skills in trigonometry, algebra and geometry.
These courses are non-credit certificate courses and are open to all students who plan to attend any post-secondary institution in September.
UPrep and TriAGe are offered in two formats:
• UPrep in-class option is available at Laurier’s Waterloo and Brantford campuses and Toronto office.
The course runs from August 11-15.
• An online option is also available and starts July 1 and runs to August 15. Cost $375
• TriAGe in-class option is available at Laurier’s Waterloo campus. The course runs from August 5-14.
• An online option is also available and starts July 1 and runs to August 15. Cost $300.
Students who sign up for the in-class option at the Waterloo or Brantford campus can also register to stay in residence for an additional fee.
Did you know…
• 85 per cent of participants found their preparatory course either useful or very useful and 91 per cent
would recommend the course to other students.
• Results indicate that, on average, UPrep participants receive higher overall GPAs than nonparticipants
in each year of study.
For more information, visit wlu.ca/continuingstudies/uprep or email email@example.com.