Safety, Health, Environment & Risk Management
Carbon monoxide poisoning – a danger year round!
(Waterloo, Ont. – Jan. 10, 2014) With the cold winter weather upon us, Waterloo Fire Rescue is urging the public to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and the need for CO alarms.
As temperatures drop, people tend to gravitate indoors. They run their furnaces more, enjoy more chimney fires and warm up their vehicles inside the garage, all to avoid the frigid cold outside. These activities, while understandable, can be hazardous.
“CO, often called the silent killer, is an invisible, odourless, colourless gas created when fuels such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane burn incompletely,” said public education officer John Percy. “Installing CO alarms in the home will alert occupants to the presence of this deadly gas.”