Headlines (News Releases)
Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence
Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence: call for applicants
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Mar 25/14| For Immediate Release
Tanis MacDonald, Associate Professor
Lori Chalmers Morrison, Acting Director
WATERLOO – Wilfrid Laurier University’s Faculty of Arts is seeking submissions from Canadian writers for the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence position for Winter 2015. The writer-in-residence will receive $25,000 for a three-month residency from Jan. 19 to April 10, 2015 on Laurier’s Waterloo campus.
Staebler (1906–2006) was a member of the Order of Canada, an award-winning journalist and author of 21 books, including the bestselling Schmecks series. She was a regular contributor to Maclean’s, Saturday Night, The Toronto Star, Chatelaine and many other newspapers and magazines. Staebler achieved writing success later in life, much of which she attributed to the mentoring of a passionate teacher. She was determined to provide that same encouragement to developing writers.
The Edna Stabeler Laurier Writer-in-Residence was inaugurated in 2013, when Andrew Westoll, author of The Riverbones and The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary, served as Laurier’s first writer-in-residence. Playwright, filmmaker and librettist Colleen Murphy will complete her term as writer-in-residence in April 2014.
“The writer-in-residence performs a valuable service to the Laurier community,” said Tanis MacDonald, chair of the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence search committee. “Colleen Murphy has been everywhere on campus this term, running master classes in writing, advising student writers in one-on-one discussions, and addressing hard questions of genre, responsibility and conscious engagement with the world in her public talks. Students have been giving Colleen rave reviews for her mentorship.”
All Canadian writers of established literary reputation are encouraged to apply. The full-time position (40 hours/week) requires 40 per cent of the author’s time to be spent on community programs, leaving 60 per cent of the work week available for the writer’s own creative projects. Community programs include: reading manuscripts and consulting with students and the public, visiting classrooms, giving readings and lectures or leading workshops. For the duration of the residency, the author will live in Lucinda House, a century home close to Laurier’s Waterloo campus.
Applicants should be in the midst of a new writing project intended for book-length publication, and be active participants in the writing community. Applications must be received by 4 p.m., May 31, 2014.
To see a full list of requirements or to apply for the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence position, visit the website. Further questions may be addressed to Tanis MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wilfrid Laurier University’s Faculty of Arts is the proud administrator of Staebler’s legacy in the forms of the Edna Staebler Award for Creative Non-Fiction (established 1991) as well as the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence program.