Headlines (News Releases)
Wilfrid Laurier University announces winners of MBA Alumni Awards
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Nov 1/10| For Immediate Release
Megan Harris, Manager
Kevin Crowley, Director, Communications & Public Affairs
WATERLOO – Laurier’s School of Business & Economics has announced the six winners of the MBA Alumni Awards. Recipients will be honoured at the fourth-annual awards dinner at the Toronto Board of Trade, 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 4.
“Every year we celebrate alumni who have demonstrated extraordinary achievement in their respective fields, from their leadership abilities and business acumen to their entrepreneurial spirit and community engagement,” said Hugh Munro, director of Laurier’s MBA program. “This year we are excited to present a truly outstanding lineup of alumni who excel on many levels.”
The 2010 award winners are:
- Outstanding Executive Leadership: Mitch Frazer (MBA ’03), partner, Torys LLP, for demonstrating extraordinary achievement, vision and leadership in a global operation.
- Outstanding Innovation and Achievement: Robert Tong (MBA ’94), vice-president, medical division, ON Semiconductor, for embodying entrepreneurial spirit and business acumen as well as demonstrating innovative business achievement.
- Outstanding CMA / MBA Alumna: Maureen Tomlinson (MBA ’05), director, business services, The Economical Insurance Group, for demonstrating extraordinary achievement in strategic and financial management.
- WLU Alumni Association’s Award of Distinction: Michael Dell (MBA ’05), president, Dell Corporation Realty Ltd., for his long record of distinguished career accomplishments and for maintaining a direct and meaningful involvement with Laurier.
- Community Leadership Award: Michael Rea (MBA ’98), founder, SustainabilityServices.co.za, for demonstrating exceptional generosity and outstanding charitable responsibility, as well as encouraging others to take philanthropic leadership roles in the community.
MBA Alumnus of the Year Award: Jeffrey Melanson (MBA ’99), executive director and co-CEO, Canada’s National Ballet School, for achieving career success and demonstrating a pattern of exceptional leadership and service.
The MBA Alumni Awards program was established in 2007 to recognize the outstanding women and men of Laurier. By honouring former Laurier students, the university hopes to inspire today’s students to strive for both personal and professional success.
The gala event takes place Nov. 4, from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in the fourth-floor ballroom of the Toronto Board of Trade. For more information and to register, please contact email@example.com. Media are invited to schedule interviews with the award recipients.