Headlines (Campus Updates)
Laurier hosts symposium on pensions at Ontario universities
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Faculty, staff and other stakeholders from universities and colleges across Ontario gathered at Laurier on May 6 to discuss the future of pensions for university employees.
The 2014 Ontario Universities Pension Symposium, held in the Senate and Board Chamber on Laurier’s Waterloo campus, was a rare opportunity for university employees, government representatives and people from the human resources industry to come together to discuss issues concerning pensions at Ontario universities.
The event, a joint initiative between Laurier and Aon Hewitt Canada, saw presentations from speakers and panels with a wide variety of backgrounds both within and outside the university sector. The discussions touched on issues such as pension sustainability and how it can be achieved, alternatives to the traditional single-employer pension system and the employee perspective on university pensions.
“I was very happy with how the day went. I thought all the speakers were terrific,” said Laurier Vice-President: Finance and Administration Jim Butler, who helped put the symposium together. “All the key decision makers from the sector were in that room and there really seems to be a common understanding of what the issues are and what needs to be done.”
Speakers at the symposium included:
- Keith Ambachsteer, director, Rotman Interational Centre for Pension Management
- Max Blouw, president and vice-chancellor, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Jim Butler, vice-president: Finance and Administration, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Caroline E. Davis, vice-president: Finance and Administration, Queen’s University
- Derek Dobson, CEO and plan manager, Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology (CAAT) Pension Plan
- Murray Gold, managing Partner, Koskie Minsky LLP
- Karen J. Hall, associate partner, Aon Hewitt
- Cameron Hunter, principal, Eckler Ltd.
- Louise Koza, director: Human Resources (Total Compensation), Western University
- Hugh Mackenzie, principal, Hugh Mackenzie & Associates
- Carol McAulay, vice-president: Administration, Laurentian University
- Donna Gray, Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) representative.
- Don O’Leary, vice-president: Finance and Administration, University of Guelph
- Bonnie Patterson, president and CEO, Council of Ontario Universities
- Steven Pillar, vice-president: Finance and Administration, Trent University
- Allan Shapira, senior partner, Aon Hewitt
- Susan Wurtele, Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) representative