Dr. Dawn Guthrie
Associate Professor, Kinesiology & Physical Education and Health Sciences
Contact InformationEmail: email@example.com
Phone: 519-884-0710 ext.2590 | lab 519-884-0710 ext.3935
Office Location: Bricker Academic Building, Room BA516
Office Hours: Monday/Wednesdays 10:00-11:00am or by appointment
BSc (Waterloo), MSc (Toronto), PhD (Waterloo)
My background includes training in health studies, epidemiology and gerontology. My research focuses on health care services for older adults (aged 65+) and individuals who are receiving hospice and palliative care services at the end of their lives. I’m also involved in developing and testing assessment instruments to be used with older adults and with individuals who have a combined vision and hearing loss. I am also interested in creating indicators to assess the quality of health care services in different settings such as home care and hospice/palliative care.
Recent Peer-reviewed Publications
1. Guthrie DM, Poss JW. Development of a case-mix funding system for adults with vision and hearing loss. BMC Health Services Research [in press; accepted April 8, 2013].
2. Guthrie DM, Fletcher PC, Berg K, Williams E, Boumans N, Hirdes JP. The role of medications in predicting activity restriction due to a fear of falling. Journal of Aging and Health 2012; 24:269-86.
3. Guthrie DM, Pitman R, Stolee P, Strong G, Poss, J, Tjam E, Bowman L, Ashworth M, Hirdes JP. Reliability of a standardized assessment for adults who are deaf-blind. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 2011; 48:545-554.
4. Ploeg J, Brazil K, Hutchison B, Kaczorowski J, Dalby D, Goldsmith CH, Furlong W. Effect of preventive primary care outreach on health related quality of life among older adults at risk of functional decline: A randomised controlled trial. British Medical Journal 2010; 340:c1480.
5. Dalby DM, Hirdes JP, Stolee P, Strong G, Poss J, Tjam EY, Bowman L, Ashworth M. Characteristics of individuals with congenital and acquired deafblindness. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness 2009;103:93-102.
6. Dalby DM, Hirdes JP, Stolee P, Strong G, Poss J, Tjam EY, Bowman L, Ashworth M. Development and psychometric properties of a standardized assessment for adults who are deaf-blind. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness 2009;103:7-16.
Recent Conference Presentations
1. Thériault É, Guthrie DM. Are older adults with communication difficulties at a disadvantage? Dual sensory loss, language and other risk factors for depression among home care clients. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, Vancouver, BC. Oct. 18-20, 2012.
2. Mofina A, Guthrie DM. Comparison of home care quality indicators and the influence of risk adjustment between two provinces. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Ontario Association of Community Care Access Centres. Toronto, ON. June 18-19, 2012.
3. Beggs J, Guthrie DM. Dual sensory loss and its relationship to communication and functional status among home care clients. Poster presented at the 2012 Canadian interRAI Conference, Vancouver, BC. May 7-12, 2012.
4. Mofina A, Guthrie DM. Comparison of home care quality indicators and the influence of risk adjustment between two provinces. Poster presented at the 2012 Canadian interRAI Conference, Vancouver, BC. May 7-12, 2012.
5. Fletcher PC, Almeida Q, Guthrie DM, Berg K, Jantzi M, Hirdes JP. Assessing the health of individuals with Parkinsonism using the Resident Assessment Instrument-Home Care. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Boston, MA. Nov. 18-22, 2011.
Courses Taught 2012/2013
KP262 - Research Methods II
KP434/630 - Epidemiology of Physical Activity & Health
KP602 - Epidemiology of Health& Physical Activity