BSW Practicum Coordinator
Contact InformationEmail: email@example.com
Phone: 519 756-8228 ext.5483
Office Location: SCJ 212
Personal Website: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marclaferriere
MSW, Social Work, Lakehead University - Thunder Bay
HBSW, Social Work, Lakehead University - Orillia
BA, Communications & English, Univeristy of Ottawa
The more you learn the more you can do, but the more you do, the more you learn.
I remember hearing that from a mentor of mine as a teenager, and believe it to be true. When you are able to combine a quality formal education with practical experience, amazing things happen. With that in mind, I'm very happy to be the Practicum Coordinator for the Bachelor of Social Work Program at Laurier Brantford where we work to combine both types of learning effectively. The BSW Practicum is an educational experience where students have an opportunity to integrate practice in an agency, with the theory of the classroom.
Born and raised in Brantford, I've had the experience of living/working, and always learning, in a variety of communities including Brant County, Gatineau (Quebec), Kitchener-Waterloo, London, Moncton (New Brunswick), Orillia, Ottawa, Sudbury and Thunder Bay.
My recent work experience includes utilizing a generalist clinical and community social work approach at the Grand River Community Health Centre, and Woodview Children's Mental Health & Autism Services, as well as teaching a variety of courses in both the Police Foundations, and Child & Youth Worker programs at Mohawk College.
I have had the opportunity to work in the media, politics, community development, social work, education and small business. I am the co-owner of a popular local newsprint and digital publication The Brant Advocate which has also spun off into a television program and podcast with a focus on the stories of Brantford, the County of Brant and Six Nations.
- 2013 Workforce Planning Board of Grand Erie Education Champion
- 2013 Brant News Readers Choice Platinum Award Winner Best Local Politician
- 2013 Samara Canada Everyday Political Citizen for Brant
- 2012 YMCA Peace Medal Recipient for Brant
- 2012 Brant News Readers Choice Platinum Award Winner Best Local Politician
- 2011 JS Woodsworth Award Nominee for Social Justice & Advocacy in Ontario
- 2011 Named by Global News one Canada's 10 Most Engaged Social Media Candidates
- 2011 Brantford Shining Star Tourism Award Nominee for Promotion & Marketing
- 2004 Canadian University Society for Intercollegiate Debate National Public Speaking Champion
Volunteering/Community Development History
Currently volunteering with the Brant United Way's GenNext program (Vice-Chair) as well as Brantford's Self Help Addictions Resource Centre (SHARC) and the Brantford-Brant Chamber of Commerce's Young Business Networking Committee.
Current member of the Brant-Brantford Chamber of Commerce, the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers and the Ontario Association of Social Workers.
Past volunteering includes service to the following boards:
- Annual Brantford Youth Leadership Conference (Co-Founder)
- Arts After School Kids Inc (Director)
- Brant/Brantford Roundtable on Poverty (Coordinator)
- Brant Elder Abuse Committee (Chair)
- Brantford Arts Block (Vice-Chair)
- Brantford Community Garden Project (Co-Founder)
- Canada Without Poverty (National Director)
- Grand River Council on Aging (Director)
- Mental Health Week Committee (Brant area)
- National Addicitions Awareness Week Committee (Brant area)
- Paris/Brant Kiwanis Club
- Rosewood House (Director)