Regulations Governing All General Major Programs
NOTE: General degrees without a major will be available to students beginning in September 2005. Effective September 2007, general majors will not be offered to any new students entering the university; this is for new students entering the university in September 2007, general degrees will not have majors, options or minors. (The general BA program at Brantford will retain the name Contemporary Studies.) Minimum progression and graduation requirements for general programs without designations are effective September 2005.
Students in all general major degree programs admitted prior to September 2007 must satisfy the following regulations:
General Major Regulations for Students Admitted Prior to September 2007
- Registration in a major is not permitted unless the student has obtained a GP(A) of at least 4.00 in the required junior credit(s) of the major subject. Exceptions must be approved by both the department offering the major and the dean of the appropriate faculty. The student must complete all requirements listed in the program description, with a cumulative GPA of at least 5.00 computed on all courses of the major subject.
- Successful completion of 15.0 credits (or equivalent), of which no more than 3.0 credits may be Business courses, chosen in accordance with the regulations for all general degree programs, with a GPA of at least 4.00.
- A general degree student must select a major no later than the beginning of Year 2. The student may also choose a second major, a minor or an available option at any time. A major must include any required junior credit(s) and a minimum of 4.0 but no more than 6.0 senior credits in the major subject. Where no junior credit is required or taken, the major must include a minimum of 5.0 senior credits in the major subject.
- A maximum of 7.0 credits in a subject may be included in the program. This maximum is increased to 8.0 when 2.0 junior credits are required for a major in the subject concerned. Any cross-listed course credits are counted towards the maximum, regardless of the student's actual registration in such courses.
- Students in General BSc program majors and any Faculty of Arts student who completes a general BA major from the Faculty of Science, must successfully complete at least 1.0 credit (or equivalent) from each of the following Curriculum Divisions: A-Humanities, B-Social Sciences, C-Sciences. Students registered in Faculty of Arts programs, and General BA program majors in the Faculty of Arts only, are not subject to this regulation. However, they are subject to all departmental regulations concerning course distribution for their major(s).
Special Regulations for General BA Major Programs
In addition to the Regulations Governing All General Major Programs, and the program requirements, all General BA students must choose programs to satisfy the following conditions:
- The program may not contain more than 7.0 junior (100 level) credits.
- The majority of credits counting for the General BA degree must not be in Curriculum Division C. (This regulation does not apply to General BA Mathematics or Computer Science majors.)
Academic & Related Dates Fall/Winter 2006/2007