Diploma in Performance
The Diploma in Performance is a three-year program for students with
strong performance backgrounds who are planning to pursue careers in
performance. Of the required 15.0 credits, 7.0 must be and as many as
10.5 may be, courses in performance.
- Admission to the Diploma in Performance will be
determined based on performance excellence in audition and will be
subject to the requirements for university entrance to the BMus
program. Applicants must meet the performance standards for entering MU290B*, approximately the equivalent of the associate level of recognized conservatories.
- Required courses for the diploma that have been successfully
completed prior to admission will normally be credited toward the
diploma. Students may not be registered in both a degree program and
the diploma program at the same time. In order to receive a diploma,
students must complete at least 5.0 credits, including MU490D‡, while registered in the diploma program.
- Each student's program must be approved by the dean.
- Students must normally maintain full-time status in each of three successive years in order for a diploma to be granted.
- For admission to Year 2 and Year 3, and for receipt of the
diploma, students must, each year, achieve a GPA of 5.00 (C) in all
courses and be recommended for progression by the performance jury in
their applied subject.
- Until the required courses in musical skills and theory have
been successfully completed, students must be enrolled in these courses
while they are enrolled in MU290D‡, MU390D‡ and MU490D‡.
- Students in this program may repeat courses up to a maximum of 2.0 credits.
- Performance: MU290D‡, MU390D‡, MU490D‡; three of MU181, MU281, MU381, MU481; and one Music elective credit chosen from MU282, MU283, MU291, MU292A, MU292B, MU293, MU298*, MU365, MU382, MU383, MU386, MU387, MU391, MU393, MU394, MU398*, MU482, MU483, MU493, MU498*.
Note: MU290D‡, MU390D‡, MU490D‡ must be taken in three consecutive years. At least one ensemble must be taken for credit in each of the three years.
- Theory and Musical Skills: MU161, MU162, MU136°, MU137°, MU236°, MU237°, MU266 and MU268.
- History: MU100; both MU270 and MU271; one of MU372 to MU379.
- Electives: 3.5 elective credits that may be Music or non-music.
Senate Revisions April 25, 2011: MU370 deleted; effective September 1, 2011.
Academic & Related Dates 2011/2012