Children's Education & Development Option
The Children's Education & Development Option is only available at the Brantford Campus. It is designed to provide students with a supplemental course of study focusing on children's issues. Students completing the option must also complete the requirements for the Contemporary Studies (CT) program (refer to Note 3). All honours students at the Brantford Campus can complete the CED option, not
just those registered in Honours Contemporary Studies. The CED option is not available to students registered in the Laurier/Nipissing BA/BEd program.
For graduation, students must have a minimum GPA of 6.0 computed on all 4.0 credits in the option.
PS101 and PS102 (or PS100*)
PS275 - Developmental Psychology I: Infancy and Childhood
CO333 - Children's Education & Development Service Learning
2.0 additional credits chosen from the following, of which no more than 1.0 credit may be PS:
CO211 - Special Topics in Children's Education & Development
CO230 - Children and Music
CO243 - Mathematics and Teaching I
CO244 - Mathematics and Teaching II
CO320/HR320 - Children’s Rights
CO326/CT326 - Children, Toys and Media
CO430/CT430 - Youth Cultures
EN201 - Children's Literature
ID303 - Indigenous Education
PP239 - Explorations of the Self
PS222 - Behaviour Modification
PS260 - Introduction to Cognitive Psychology
PS270 - Social Psychology
PS276 - Developmental Psychology II: Adolescence and Young Adulthood
PS283 - Educational Psychology
PS379 - Psychology of Exceptional Children, Youth and Adults
SY201* - Sociology of Families
SY316* - Sociology of Education
- Students should be aware that some of these courses have prerequisites. Although these prerequisites may be waived by the department administering the course, it is the responsibility of the student to make such arrangements.
- No more than 1.0 irregular credit may be counted toward a general degree (only students admitted prior to Sept 1, 2007), and no more than 3.0 toward an honours degree.
- Students in the Youth and Children’s Studies program are excluded from completing the Children’s Education and Development Option.
- The Brantford Campus offers only two general degrees: a BA without a designation, and a BA in Contemporary Studies. No further designation (major, option or minor) is awarded with these degrees.
Students admitted prior to September 2007, who have not allowed an 18-month lapse in course registration and are in good standing in their program/major, may follow the progression regulations that were in effect at the time of their registration in a general major. These students can combine General Contemporary Studies with the CED Option.
- Nipissing University will reserve a minimum of 15 places in the BEd
Program (Primary-Junior Division) each year for graduates of the
Children's Education & Development Option. Applicants must apply to
the Ontario Universities' Application Centre by the deadline date
specified for that year. To qualify for special admission, the
candidates will complete the Honours Contemporary Studies degree with
the Children's Education & Development Option with a minimum overall
75% average on all university courses. Eligible candidates must
complete CO243 and CO244 (Mathematics and Teaching I and II).
Senate Revision May 25, 2011: Note 3 exclusion added; effective September 1, 2011.