Honours BA Mediterranean Studies
The Honours BA Mediterranean Studies program consists of 20.0 credits, not more than 6.0 of which may be at the 100 level. Students must take at least 11.0 but no more than 15.0 credits from the lists A, B, and C.
A. Mediterranean studies core (1.0 credit): MI201, MI202.
B. Languages and cultures of the Mediterranean region (5.0 credits):
- Arabic: AB101, AB102, AB201, AB202, AB301, AB302, AB395, AB399.
- French: FR230, FR231, FR232, FR233, FR234, FR235, FR238, FR250, FR251, FR260, FR330, FR331, FR335, FR360, FR385, FR438, FR470, FR485.
- Italian: IT101, IT102, IT201, IT202, IT322, IT324, IT395, IT399.
- Spanish: SP100*, SP101, SP102, SP200*, SP201, SP202, SP271, SP272, SP324, SP325, SP328, SP351, SP352, SP365, SP451, SP461, SP466.
C. Mediterranean studies electives (5.0 credits):
AB399 - Directed Studies
AR214/CL214 - Greek Art and Archaeology
AR215/CL215 - Roman Art and Archaeology
AR226/NE226 - Byzantine and Early Islamic Archaeology
AR327/CL327 - Hellenistic Art and Architecture
AR331/CL331 - The Art and Architecture of Imperial Rome
CL101 - The Greek World
CL102 - Roman Civilization
CL204 - Greek and Roman Mythology: The Gods
CL206 - Greek and Roman Mythology: the Heroes
CL225/HI225 - History of Ancient Greece
CL226/HI226 - History of Ancient Rome
CL262/RE262 - Religions of the Greco-Roman World
CL319 - Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World
GR101 - Introductory Ancient Greek I
GR102 - Introductory Ancient Greek II
GR201 - Intermediate Greek
GR202 - Selections from Greek Authors
GR331 - Advanced Studies in Greek: Prose
GR332 - Advanced Studies in Greek: Poetry
GR351 - Advanced Composition, Grammar and Reading
GR491 - Senior Studies in Greek: Selected Topics
HI265 - The Modern Middle East
HI353 - The French Revolution and Napoleon, 1789-1815
HI354 - France in World War II: Origins and History of the Vichy Regime
HI489* - Research Seminar on Napoleon: The Man and His Times
IT337 - Italian Film
LA101 - Introductory Latin I
LA102 - Introductory Latin II
LA203 - Intermediate Latin
LA204 - Selections from Latin Authors
MI438 - Special Topics
MZ200 - Introduction to Muslim Studies
MZ300 - Special Topics in Muslim Studies
NE101 - First Civilizations: Mesopotamia and Egypt
NE202 - History of Ancient Egypt
PO235 - Political Thought from the Greeks to the 18th Century
PORT 101 Introduction to Portuguese I (UW)
PORT 102 Introduction to Portuguese II (UW)
RE204 - Introduction to Judaism
RE213/MZ201 - Religious Heritage of Islam
RE227 - Religions and Cultures of the Middle East
SP220 - Topics in Spanish Culture
SP301 - Composition and Conversation I
SP302 - Composition and Conversation II
SP401 - Advanced Composition and Conversation I
SP402 - Advanced Composition and Conversation II
SP465 - Literature and Journalism in the Hispanic World
D. Other electives (9.0 credits)
- An Honours BA Mediterranean Studies student cannot complete a combined program with the Honours BA Languages program because their requirements overlap considerably. The two areas of specialization can only be completed as consecutive degrees.
- It is highly recommended for students to go on an exchange abroad at some point during their studies for at least one term. Destinations that complement this program include: France, Italy, Northern Africa, Spain, or other Mediterranean countries, with the permission of the department and Laurier International.
Senate Revision March 3, 2011: SP course number changes; Film Studies cross-listings deleted with IT337 and FR348 effective September 1, 2011.
Senate Revision April 25, 2011: Complete program revisions; effective September 1, 2011.
Academic & Related Dates 2011/2012