Honours BA Religion and Culture
The Honours Religion and Culture program consists of 20.0 credits, of which at most 6.0 credits may be at the 100 level (refer to exception below). A minimum of 10.0, but no more than 15.0, of the 20.0 credits must be Religion and Culture credits, at least 9.0 of which must at the senior level.
RE100 and RE101, or RE212*.
RE207, RE307, RE308, RE407*, and one other 400-level seminar course.
The core requirements also include a minimum of 2.0 R&C credits distributed across at least three of the following four areas:
- African Religions, Indigenous Religions and New Religious Movements: RE211, RE265, RE285, RE318
- Christianity: RE201, RE215, RE216, RE236, RE335, RE432
- Judaism, Islam and Bahá'í: RE200, RE204, RE213, RE214, RE227, RE304, RE338, RE377
- Asian Religions: RE246, RE250, RE251, RE255, RE298, RE321, RE337, RE424, RE455
Additional credit requirements:
A minimum of 4.0 and no more than 9.0 additional R&C credits.
R&C encourages the study of languages other than English as an integral part of understanding religion and culture.
- R&C Majors may count up to 1.0 credit of senior language study toward the additional R&C credit requirements for the degree.
- For R&C Majors who take Year 1 language courses during Year 2, Year 3, or Year 4, and who have already accumulated 6.0 junior credits, these courses (up to a maximum of 1.0 credit) will not be counted toward the maximum 6.0 limit on 100 level credits. Language courses may be taken at WLU, at other recognized universities in Canada, or abroad on a letter of permission and with the prior written consent of the R&C Department. Language courses are courses that are not taught in English, and focus on grammar, verbal and written communication skills in a second language.
Senate Revisions April 25, 2011: RE306 deleted; effective September 1, 2011.
Academic & Related Dates 2011/2012